Tuesday, May 6, 2014

There is no homework for Thursday because of the CHAPTER TEST!! You need to know the vocabulary and principal parts of verbs, the pronouns and how to use them, and how to translate sentences from the stories and the exercises.

Here is the full translation of the story we worked on in class:

More News for Flavia from Cornelia

Yesterday Eucleides took me and the boys to the games held in the Circus Maximus. When I got up from sleep/from my nap, the boys and Eucleides had already prepared themselves. Therefore we immediately headed for the Circus. When we arrived there, our uncle had already sat down with his friends near the racetrack. Although we were not allowed to sit near the track, we were nevertheless able to see everything. After the charioteers took up their reins, Caesar himself gave the signal with the white cloth. How quickly the horses ran, for the charioteers were beating them fiercely!

All the women, senators, citizens and slaves were vigorously supporting their own teams. How loud their voices were! The boys and I were supporting our (own) teams. Sextus, that annoying boy, shouted to us again and again, "My reds will always beat your charioteers!" Although his reds won at first, my blues won often. Marcus's whites were not running well and Marcus was miserable muttering to himself. After a few contests/races, it was time to leave. While we were returning home, the boys tried to annoy me, as always, but I was able to avoid them.

When you come to the city, perhaps you'll be able to go to the chariot races with us! Will you be allowed to come to Rome soon? If your mother comes with you, my mother will be happy, because she wants to see her.

It is necessary for me to go to bed. Farewell, my friend.