Friday, February 28, 2014

The National Latin Exam will be held on Wed., March 12, during tutorial in Room 101.

You have received a handout on the demonstrative pronouns/adjectives hic, haec, hoc and ille, illa, illud. The next chart,which has many similarities, is for relative pronouns: quī, quae, quod. Relative pronouns are, in English, this, that, which, whose, who, etc. Here are some sentences, in English, using relative pronouns:

1) My father, whose birthday is tomorrow, will be away.

2) The book that you lent me is really good.

3) Did you see my friend, who is wearing a pink sweater?

Each sentence contains a main clause and a relative clause (a subordinate clause beginning with a relative pronouns)

1) Main clause: My father will be away.
    Relative clause: whose birthday is tomorrow.
    Relative pronoun: whose, replacing my father with a genitive, to show possession. In Latin, a masculine, singular, genitive pronoun would be used, because it replaces one male (my father) and shows possession (of a birthday).

2) Main clause: The book is really good.
     Relative clause: that you lent me
    Relative pronoun: that, replacing book with an accusative to show direct object. In Latin, a masculine, singular, accusative pronoun would be used, because it replaces one male object (book) and is the direct object of lent.

3) Main clause: Did you see my friend?
    Relative clause: who is wearing a pink sweater
    Relative pronoun: who, replacing my friend with a nominative to show a subject. In Latin, a feminine, singular, nominative would be used, because it replaces one female (my friend) and is the subject of wearing.

Click here for a chart of the relative pronouns.
Click here for lots of examples of Latin usage and lots of practice translations. Here are the answers.